UK bars Nigerians, others from applying for over 100 jobs, gives reason

UK bars Nigerians, others from applying for over 100 jobs, gives reason

  • The British Home Office has announced the restrictions on Nigerians and other foreigners from filling more than 100 categories of jobs
  • This move was part of the UK's ongoing reforms of immigration policies meant to reduce net migration
  • The development was the latest migration clampdown that will be happening under Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer, who resumed office on July 5, 2024

The British Government has announced a restriction on Nigerians and other foreign workers from filling over 100 job categories. The development was part of the kingdom's larger immigration reforms meant to reduce net migration.

This was announced in a statement by the Home Office on Saturday morning, August 30, on social media, adding that the move was to create more opportunities for the local citizens. This was the latest migration clampdown that will be happening under Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer, who resumed office on July 5, 2024.

Read also

American farmer laments as his workers go into hiding over fear of ICE crackdown

United Kingdom has restricted foreign workers from filing for over 100 jobs.
UK stop Nigerians and other foreign workers for filing for over 100 jobs Photo Credit: Getty Images
Source: Getty Images

The Home Office stated:

“Cutting net migration means getting the fundamentals right.
“More than 100 occupations are no longer eligible for overseas recruitment – opening up more jobs for British workers. A fairer, skills-focused system is now taking shape.”

See the tweet here:

British citizen denied entry after visiting Ghana

This happened hours after a British citizen who travelled to Ghana for a holiday was denied entry into the UK when she wanted to come back. The woman, who is battling cancer, is identified as 81-year-old Hannah Dankwa.

Hannah Dankwa had travelled to Ghana from the UK to see a relative and observe a holiday. When it was time for her to fly back to the UK, she was turned back at the airport and told she could not enter the UK again.

Hannah Dankwa is being cared for by her daughter, Akua, while stuck in Ghana for the past four months.
Hannah Dankwa is being cared for by her daughter, Akua, while stuck in Ghana for the past four months. Photo credit: Getty Images
Source: Facebook

She and her family were shocked because she had been living in the UK for several decades and had been using the same documents. She said she feels terrible because of the way she has been treated by the British Home Office.

Read also

81-year-old British citizen denied entry into UK after going on holiday in Ghana

Her words:

"I feel really terrible. Really terrible. I just don't know what to do."

Hannah is being cared for by her daughter, Akua, who had gone with her on what was meant to be a two-week holiday. This was four months ago.

Her daughter, Akua, said:

"We were shocked. Mum has travelled from the UK to Ghana and back to the UK with the same documents that we have had with us for over 40 years. There has never been a problem ever."

The aged Hannah said she feels for her poor daughter, who has to take her around in a wheelchair from the hotel where they have been stuck for four months.

NNPP chieftain writes US for visa review

Legit.ng earlier reported that NNPP governorship candidate in the 2023 election in Ogun state, Olufemi Ajadi, has written to the US embassy in Lagos over visa application rejection.

Read also

4 people who regretted relocating to Nigeria and moved back abroad again

The politician wrote to the US embassy through his lawyer, Barrister Isaac Izunya, under his law firm, Izunya Izunya & Co.

Izunya explained that the visa application denial did not include the applicants' names and passport information.

Source: Legit.ng

Authors:
Bada Yusuf avatar

Bada Yusuf (Politics and Current Affairs Editor) Yusuf Amoo Bada is an accomplished writer with over 5 years of experience in journalism and writing, he is also politics and current affairs editor with Legit.ng. He holds B.A in Literature from OAU, and Diploma in Mass Comm. He has obtained certificates in Google's Advance Digital Reporting, News Lab workshop. He previously worked as an Editor with OperaNews. Best Editor of the Year for Politics and Current Affairs Desk (2023) by Legit.ng. Contact: bada.yusuf.amoo@corp.legit.ng

Page was generated in 1.7610640525818