Ex-Army Properties MD Reacts to EFCC's N246 Million Forfeiture Claim

Ex-Army Properties MD Reacts to EFCC's N246 Million Forfeiture Claim

  • Former Nigerian Army Properties Limited (NAPL) boss, Umar Mohammed, has addressed the EFCC’s statement that a court has granted the final forfeiture of shares worth N246 million
  • Mohammed's legal team argued that the matter is still pending before Justice Chukwujekwu Aneke
  • The dispute, tied to a 2021 petition, has now escalated as Mohammed’s lawyers move to set aside the ruling, which granted the EFCC the final forfeiture

Abuja, FCT - Umar Mohammed, former managing director of Nigerian Army Properties Limited (NAPL), has challenged the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over its claim that a Federal High Court in Lagos granted a final forfeiture of shares worth N246 million.

Mohammed’s legal team, in a report by Business Day, said the anti-graft agency's claim is misleading.

Umar Mohammed, EFCC, NAPL, N246m shares forfeiture, Federal High Court Lagos, Nigerian Army Properties Limited, Dehinde Dipeolu ruling
Ex-NAPL boss Umar Mohammed takes on EFCC in court over disputed N246m shares forfeiture. Photo credit: PIUS UTOMI EKPEI/AFP
Source: Getty Images

The legal team further argued that the case is still pending before the court and that the EFCC ignored due process in securing the order to forfeit the shares.

Read also

Jonathan’s cousin reacts to report of ex-President rejecting pressure to contest in 2027 election

Legit.ng reports that the EFCC recently released a statement that a Federal High Court in Lagos had ordered the final forfeiture of 246,305,544 shares valued at about N5 billion, said to be proceeds of unlawful activities carried out during Mohammed’s tenure at NAPL.

The announcement reportedly followed a ruling delivered by Dehinde Dipeolu, the judge.

Report claims lawsuit adjourned

However, the Business Day report stated that documents obtained from the court and sources familiar with the matter reveal that the case, registered as Suit No: FHC/L/MISC/404/25, had already been adjourned by Chukwujekwu Aneke (Justice) to October 8, 2025.

According to the report, the adjournment came after Mohammed’s legal representatives, led by Olalekan Ojo (SAN), filed an affidavit on July 29, 2025, stating why the shares should not be permanently forfeited.

It was learnt that the EFCC had earlier approached the court on April 29, 2025, seeking interim forfeiture of the shares listed in schedules A, B, and C of the case. Aneke granted the interim order on May 7, 2025, and directed that it be published in a national daily, which was done on July 9, 2025. This, according to the source cited in the report, paved the way for any interested parties to challenge the application.

Read also

BREAKING: Court takes action on order seeking to stop Rivers LG polls

Mohammed’s team complied by filing its affidavit, but before the adjourned date for hearing, the EFCC returned to court during the annual vacation and secured a final forfeiture order without reference to the pending affidavit.

Forfeiture order challenged in court

On August 29, 2025, Ojo moved to set aside Justice Dipeolu’s ruling, arguing that the EFCC’s forfeiture order was granted during vacation without following due process and ignored key facts, including that the contested shares were acquired before Mohammed became NAPL’s Managing Director in 2015.

The report made reference to a similar suit over the same shares that was allegedly previously struck out in April 2025 at the Federal High Court, Abuja.

The dispute stems from a 2021 petition by retired Brigadier General Isah Doma, alleged to be part of a smear campaign against Mohammed, who is said to be receiving medical treatment after more than three years of detention by the Nigerian military.

Read also

“2027 elections in danger”: Atiku’s ADC raises fresh alarm over INEC voter data

Umar Mohammed, EFCC, NAPL, N246m shares forfeiture, Federal High Court Lagos, Nigerian Army Properties Limited, Dehinde Dipeolu ruling
Umar Mohammed's legal team accuses EFCC of securing a forfeiture order during vacation without following due process. Photo credit: Photo by KOLA SULAIMON/AFP
Source: Getty Images

What EFCC said about the forfeiture

Earlier, Legit.ng reported that the Federal High Court in Lagos ordered the permanent forfeiture of shares valued at over N246 million traced to Mohammed, former MD of the NAPL, to the federal government.

According to Dele Oyewale, EFCC spokesperson, Dipeolu delivered the ruling after granting an application by the commission, represented by H.U. Kofarnaisa, its counsel.

According to the agency, the shares were proceeds of unlawful activities uncovered during investigations into a petition filed by NAPL.

Source: Legit.ng

Authors:
Nurudeen Lawal avatar

Nurudeen Lawal (Head of Politics and Current Affairs Desk) Nurudeen Lawal is an AFP-certified journalist with a wealth of experience spanning over 8 years. He received his B/Arts degree in Literature-in-English from OAU. Lawal is the Head of the Politics/CA Desk at Legit.ng, where he applies his expertise to provide incisive coverage of events. He was named the Political Desk Head of the Year (Nigeria Media Nite-Out Award 2023). He is also a certified fact-checker (Dubawa fellowship, 2020). Contact him at lawal.nurudeen@corp.legit.ng or +2348054399455.

Page was generated in 2.8670001029968