NNPC Ojulari Breaks Silence on Plans To Remove Him From Office Amid Protests

NNPC Ojulari Breaks Silence on Plans To Remove Him From Office Amid Protests

  • NNPC's new management has revealed that there is a plan by some persons to remove him and other senior executives from office
  • He linked the plot to reforms introduced by the company’s new management to transform the national oil company
  • Several protests have been held against Ojulari and were recently reported tp the EFCC for investigation

Legit.ng journalist Dave Ibemere has over a decade of experience in business journalism, with in-depth knowledge of the Nigerian economy, stocks, and general market trends.

Bayo Ojulari, Group Chief Executive Officer of Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Limited), has said there is a coordinated attack to remove him and other senior executives from office.

Speaking during a courtesy visit by the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) in Abuja, he explained that the attacks are linked to reforms introduced by NNPC’s new management.

NNPC boss vows to continue reforms despite plans to remove him
NNPC boss Bayo Ojulari says management is under attack Photo: nnpclimited
Source: Getty Images

According to him, although the reforms seek to transform the oil and gas sectors, some people feel threatened by them.

Read also

Kwankwaso condemns demolition of northerners market in Lagos

Ojulari revealed that several members of the company’s leadership team, including the Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice Presidents and other senior officials, have also faced court actions, petitions and harassment from various quarters.

His words:

“We are under attack. And I repeat again, NNPC, we are under attack. There is no hiding around all the attacks that I have received and all the plans to take me out of the seat. Let us not pretend. It is a real formidable plan. So, anybody that tells you that it’s fake, it’s not fake. It’s true."

He expressed determination to achieve his objective as the head of NNPC and also defended the decision to freeze NNPC’s refinery operations.

He explained that the refineries were losing $300 million to $500 million monthly, with little output to show for it.

NNPC says the country is losing millions monthly on non-functional refineries.
NNPC refineries have struggled to work despite billions spent on rehabilitation Photo: Bloomberg/contributor
Source: Getty Images

NNPC boss added that up to 150,000 barrels of crude oil a day are supplied to the plants, but only 40% of it was refined into products, much of which failed to meet market standards, Cable reports.

Read also

Nigerian billionaire's company promises to revive 100 oil wells in 100 days

He continued:

“Only half of the refinery was working. The way it was designed, the old and new units are supposed to function as one system. Operating one without the other was setting us up for failure."

Ojulari revealed that technical and commercial reviews of the three refineries had been completed, and NNPC was seeking a partnership with a professional refining company to co-run the Port Harcourt refinery on a commercially viable basis, Sun reports.

He concluded:

“It is not just about getting them to work. They must be profitable or at least break even. We are not going to throw public funds into a pit again."

NNPC slashes petrol prices

Earlier, Legit.ng reported that the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) has announced a reduction in its petrol pump price on Wednesday, July 16, 2025, for its Lagos retail stations.

Read also

Primate Ayodele sends fresh message to top Tinubu's appointee amid plot to remove oil chief

Checks by Legit.ng showed that in Lagos, NNPC retail outlets are dispensing fuel at N865 per litre to motorists.

The new price for Lagos reflects a N20 reduction, bringing the pump price down from N885 to N865 per litre.

Source: Legit.ng

Authors:
Dave Ibemere avatar

Dave Ibemere (Senior Business Editor) Dave Ibemere is a senior business editor at Legit.ng. He is a financial journalist with over a decade of experience in print and online media. He also holds a Master's degree from the University of Lagos. He is a member of the African Academy for Open-Source Investigation (AAOSI), the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations and other media think tank groups. He previously worked with The Guardian, BusinessDay, and headed the business desk at Ripples Nigeria. Email: dave.ibemere@corp.legit.ng.

Page was generated in 3.4368469715118